Why Recycled Coffee?
Why do we use coffee in our soaps?
There has a been a recent surge in the use of coffee in soaps as well as other cosmetics. As it turns out one of the world's most popular beverages also has many advantages to skin and hair care!
- Exfoliating: The coffee bean is a naturally hardy bean. However, it is very inefficient to brew your morning cup of joe with whole beans! If you were to use whole beans, you would miss out on a large part of the coffee because the hot water merely touches the outer surface of the bean, missing out on the delicious interior. Naturally, people will grind the bean to extract it's full potential. This leaves the texture of coffee grounds to be course and still firm. These grounds act as a natural exfoliator for your skin. The grounds gently remove the dead skin cells and leave your skin fresh and new. Exfoliating can dry out the skin, but don't worry, our soaps have a scrubbing side with a higher concentration of coffee so you can control the amount of scrub you want. Our lather side is made of our goat's milk soap base that will lather nicely, and leave you soft and smooth to the touch.
- Helps fight psoriasis, ace, and eczema: the natural oils in coffee are very similar to those found in our skin!The natural oil in coffee contains enzymes that detoxify, cleanse and help unclog pores, making it ideal for treating acne, eczema and other skin problems. Coffee oil is very similar to our natural body oils and has the same PH level as human skin. Your skin will absorb the oils in this natural soap, giving it a soft and silky feel.
- Reduce under-eye puffiness – While it may not get rid of those dark circles under your eyes (which are often hereditary), the anti-inflammatory properties of caffeine in coffee help minimize under-eye redness and inflammation. It also helps prevent the build-up of blood under your eyes which contributes to those dark circles. You may discover it as an ingredient in many eye creams.
- Reduce skin redness – The caffeine in coffee has the ability to constrict blood vessels (vasoconstrictor), making it very useful in natural soap for those who suffer from rosacea and skin redness. It will even out your skin tone. It can also help minimize the appearance of tiny “spider” veins on the skin.
- Absorb odors – When we cook, our hands absorb the unpleasant odors of pungent foods like garlic, onion, hot peppers, fish, etc. Keep this delightful natural soap on hand in your kitchen! It will remove all of these, and other, nasty odors from your skin. It really works! (Tip: Place a bowl of coffee grounds mixed with a little vanilla in your fridge to absorb unwanted smells.)
- Add shine to your hair – There are some nourishing oils in coffee beans. They help retain moisture levels in hair (and skin). Wash your hair with our Blue Mountain Mocha natural soap bar, rinse, and enjoy softer, shinier hair.
- Prevent sun & cell damage – Our cells and tissues are constantly under attack from excessive amounts of free radicals. Free radical damage is a known contributor to the premature aging of our skin, along with acne, eczema and other problems. Our bodies naturally fight off free radical damage with antioxidants such as vitamins A, C and E, and polyphenols, such as those found in green tea. The coffee cherry, the fruit of the coffee plant, has gained attention for its powerful antioxidant properties. Promising research studies have shown that the antioxidants in topical cream or solutions (and natural soap!) containing coffee/caffeine may prevent sun (UV) damage, or repair it if it has already occurred. In fact, extracts from the coffee cherry may even be three times stronger as an antioxidant than green tea (an antioxidant powerhouse)!
- Get rid of cellulite? – Recent studies show that coffee/caffeine applied to the skin may tighten and firm skin, reducing cellulite! Researchers in Brazil at Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro (2007) and the Universidade de São Paulo (2008) found that the application of skin cream and solutions containing caffeine significantly reduced the size of cellulite cells by 17%. Caffeine apparently dehydrates fat cells by energizing them which causes the elimination of water and the sodium/potassium component of the cells. By massaging and rubbing the areas with natural soap containing coffee, the fat cells break up and the lumps and bumps of cellulite decrease. The end result is smoother skin.
- Lift your mood – Last, but certainly not least, is the spectacular natural aroma of coffee! The aroma relaxes us and clears our minds. Just the smell can lift our energy or mood. Smelling coffee is also known to reduce nausea.
So, why use recycled coffee grounds?